Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sightings

To Margie on Maui
(and other neglected friends who I would like to reconnect with after a silence of too many months)

For the last month or so you have been in my thoughts almost every day. I hope that is a good sign. Actually, it might be a matter of a bit of guilt. Nah...I was just missing you and wanting to get in touch with you. After all, it was Christmastime last year that we last connected.

I have looked at your website again, Margie and am thrilled about how you and your art reflect each other, I guess the word is congruent...and beautiful. I'm also wishing I was there to enjoy the warmth. (It is freeezing in Fort Collins today, below zero at 3:00 in the afternoon) brrrrr.

I have started to write again. Even though I am burdoned by all the poems, stories, papers (from Iliff), some sermons, my photographs, letters and books that sit in boxes and folders because somewhere in them I am sure a treasure is hidden I refuse to throw it away. I think that's a good thing. Because while my life has been filled with all the adjustments and chaos that comes with moving something tells me I need to be careful about my 'sorting hat.'

I wanted to tell you about an experience I call a 'sighting'. I think of it as a glimspse of God or clarity or assurance or direction of something that allows me to see or feel God's love breaking through. Sometimes it is the words of a song, or something I have read or the presence of one of my purrring cats, or that I have received a gift of help or nurture from someone. This is happening more and more.

Recently I was struggling about a decision to put down Mollie, our Bassett. One night I was listening to Delilah, who makes dedications for people and plays requested music on her radio show. She played an absolutely charming version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Hawaian singer IZ. His interpretation of this song of hope touched me deeply. It kind of possessed me in a good way so I knew it was the right time, it was God's assurance. It was what I call a 'sighting'.

Then I remembered that I also had heard Somewhere Over the Rainbow at a memorial service for pets held at C.S.U. earlier in the year and so it was appropriate and comforting that when we said good-bye to Mollie we played that song by IZ.

Often when I wake up in the morning I play "It's a Wonderful World" and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and I'm helped to begin my day with a positive attitude and a sense of knowing God is with me. Also I wrote Mollie's story and put together a memory book for her and would like to do that for other people who want to remember their animals. It was a healing experience.

So I'll quit now but I wanted to send my blog addresses to you for you to read when you can. I have worked hard to learn how to write blogs on the computer. I think it will help return me to writing.http://www.msg-spiceoflife.blogspot.com/ (Spice of Life) and http://www.pamelawolf.blogspot.com/ (Writing Outside the Barn)
I'd love to hear how you are.
Pam

Dear Pam,

How nice to hear from you. I am very happy for you that you are experiencing such meaningful expressions of Grace. I love Iz’s Over the Rainbow. Are you familiar with the “ Rainbow Bridge ” which is the way for animals to “pass over”? You can find it on the web and I know that it really helped our family when our Prince died. Great to know that you are getting back into writing and I understand that blogging is a perfect way to do that.

I am very happy with my life here. My artist community has been my “family” and it is a pleasure to show and sell my art and to work in the gallery. My spiritual work is still the main focus of my life.

I wish you and your family a wonderful holiday season. It was such a pleasure to get the photo of your amazing family of twins – last Christmas.

Margie from Maui

No comments: