Friday, December 18, 2009

Appearances

Dear Margie,

Thank you for your response. It has been too long since we have corresponded. I'm glad you share my enthusiasm for the singer IZ's work. At the beginning of his C.D., Wonderful World it seems like you can actually hear the sun rising. When I get up early to feed the horses and roll up the shade toward the east the sky is just beginning to lighten up. And if I catch it just right, in an instant there are layers upon layers of warm reds and oranges and pinks that blend and shift and spread into each other as if embracing. So when I turn on that C.D. it feels as if the melody flows those colors into the room. I actually experience the music of the sunrise. At Thanksgiving I brought my 6 yr. old grandson into the room to watch and listen with me. We tiptoed over to the window and stood there in silence and allowed the color to wash over us. It was a nice moment for both of us.

And hearing from you felt the same way. It was so good to hear from you and to see how much you enjoy being there in Hawaii with your art and community of artists.

I do know about the 'Rainbow Bridge'. I learned about it on a trip to Utah when we visited the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. I believe animals that we have brought into our families and loved and have loved us in return are a visible manifestations of God's love. It appears in a heartfelt song, a sunrise that takes your breath away, a loyal sweet dog, a patient grandson, and compassion and kindness.

It was good that your family had some good resources when you had to say goodbye to Prince. The memorial service for pets I attended a few months ago was organized by the Argus Institute at C.S.U. This institute is an effort to bring vet science and resources to bear on helping families with end of life issues for their pets. There is a growing sensitivity for animals and a body of knowledge that has identified a 'caring' in animals that goes beyond instinct, even in so-called wild animals. Read Temple Grandin, who has written, Animals Make Us Human. She is a nationally known professor and writer (from C.S.U.) who has written from an unusual perspective, that of her own experience with autism. Hers was one of the voices that spoke out especially for farm animals against their inhumane treatment from feed lots to the slaughter house. (Looks like I have gotten on my soapbox a bit. :-)

Maybe we can talk on the phone again sometime. I would like that.

Take care,
Pam

No comments: